Thursday

Artists Arise!

"Those who loved you and were helped by you will remember you. So carve your name on hearts and not of marble." C. H. Spurgeon

I have a forum called Artists Arise where artists from across the US and Europe join in conversation. A few days ago one of my artist friends admitted that he was struggling and in a low place. This opened a flood gate of responses on the forum. Many admitted that they were also struggling, discouraged, stressed and under pressure.

We do live in a pressure cooker and the water is boiling! When pressure cookers experience too much pressure . . . they explode. However, they are equipped with a release valve that reduces the pressure and helps avoid a crises.

"When written in Chinese, the word 'crises' is composed of two characters - one represents danger, the other represents opportunity." John F. Kennedy

Do you have a release valve? What helps you avoid crises or melt down? Recently I've been reading Vital Friends, an interesting book about the power of relationships. The research for the book was done by interviewing homeless people and finding out why they were homeless. The majority stated that their path to homelessness started with a break in relationships.

It seems that friends, especially a best friend, can be the release valve we need. But even if you don't have a best friend, as long as you have someone to talk to, you are in position to overcome your bad days and find hope for the future.
          My hubby and I with life long best friends Jim & Anne Mills and Elijah.
Honestly, I don't know where we'd be with this couple. 
They have helped us through our times of crises.

I realize that many artistic types are loners. We are alone when we create and can often hide behind our creativity. Are you more comfortable in the studio than out in public? Are you shy or maybe a bit self conscious in crowds? Don't let that keep you from reaching out and becoming a friend not just for the taking, but also for giving to someone else the release they need. If you can become a friend who listens, you can become a powerful healing force.

The bottom line is that we need each other.

"A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails."  Donna Roberts

Let me know your thoughts on this. If you would like to join the conversation on my forum go to:
http://www.48days.net/group/artistsarise

6 comments:

  1. Its really true...somehow the best friends release the "freedom" to create because they accept us. I have written about half a dozen songs inspired by my best friend over these last few years that i have known her, including" Time Stands Still"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deby,

    It's as if you were talking directly to me! I often stay alone and don't reach out. The forum reminds me I am not alone and reminds me to reach out. It's so great to feel connected! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, Deby. Sometimes it feels good to hole away and work on a creative project. But getting out and connecting with others helps shake things up. It's one of those counter-intuitive things--when we take a break we can get more (and more creative) things done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ErinKCasey

    I agree, Erin. Just heard a comment that says a change of place and a change of pace prompts creativity.
    It's good to take those frequent breaks to refresh and refocus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Billie
    Well we took a positive step forward by meeting for ice cream! Thanks again, Billie. You and your daughter make quite a team. She is adorable.
    I'm happy to nudge you on . . . :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous
    Hi anonymous! I don't know who you are, but I'd love to hear "Time Stands Still." Amazing people inspire amazing songs.

    ReplyDelete